Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
A different spin on asparagus. Credit goes to Rory, the season 3 runner-up from the Food Network's "The Next Food Network Star". My little ones love their asparagus cooked this way!
- 1 bunch asparagus, about 20 spears
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 orange, zest of (optional)
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Cut the tough ends off asparagus, roll in oil and coat with sugar and salt. Place asparagus on the grill and cook for approximately 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how thick your asapragus is. Turn asparagus to ensure even cooking. You know the asparagus are done when sugar is caramelized and asparagus are starting to look burnt.
- Sprinkle orange zest over asparagus before serving.
Delicious! What a great way to eat asparagus. The flavor was fantastic. I didn't even use the orange zest. I used an indoor grill pan and it worked just fine. I would suggest buying the bigger asparagus stalks so you don't burn these.
Amazing! I absolutely loved it and may have a new way to make asparagus for now on. I didn't add the zest but I can see how it would be great too. Thinking maybe some balsamic or a little heat next time!
This recipe is fantastic. I used splenda for baking instead of sugar and it worked just fine. I also used lemon zest instead of orange. I plan on making this for my 4th of July cookout. Thanks for posting.