Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is from the Cookingvillage website.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, scrubbed and quartered (about 6)
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 large lemon, halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced crosswise, seeds removed
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice or 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F Lightly butter a 2-quart baking dish. In a large pot, boil the potatoes in enough water to cover until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup of the brown sugar and cook until melted. Add the lemon and orange juice and bring to a boil. Simmer until the lemon peel is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the nutmeg.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and slice 1/2 inch thick. Arrange half of the slices in the prepared dish. Layer with half of the salt, pepper, lemon slices and their syrup. Repeat the layering, then sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar.
- Bake the gratin, uncovered, until the syrup is bubbly and the potatoes are lightly browned on top, about 35 minutes.
- Do Ahead Refrigerate the unbaked gratin, covered with foil, for up to 2 days. Bake covered for 15 minutes, then uncovered for 30 minutes.
This is so good. I love the lemon flavor ! Outstanding and such change from the norm. The orange juice is a must!!!