Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
This is from Cook's Country, America's Test Kitchen, Feb/March 2006. Don't use baby carrots in this. They won't roast properly. I liked decreasing the sugar about one-third.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2 x 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Put oven rack in the middle position. Preheat to 475 degrees. Heat rimmed baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- Toss carrots, melted butter, sugar, salt and pepper until thoroughly combined. Remove pan from oven. Please carrots in single layer on it. Roast until they're beginning to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven, toss carrots to redistribute and keep roasting until tender and deep amber in color, with some very darkened spots (but not all over)--about 3 minutes.
These are very tasty carrots Debbie. We enjoyed them very much. I had to turn the heat down from 475 to 425 degrees after 5 minutes because the carrots were burning and not cooking. That said they turned out great, tender and flavorful with lots of dark flavor. I will definitely be making these again, but will decrease the amount of sugar and use a lower heat. Thanks so much for sharing. Made for Name That Ingredient Tag Game.
I kept the ingredients the same for this recipe, but I cooked it on the stove in a skillet because my oven was full. These were wonderful and I will be making them often!
I made a full recipe though shared between 3 and we thoroughly enjoyed these very flavoursome carrots, thank you Debbie R, made for Photo Tag game.