Recipe by BeckyMonster
I adapted this recipe from an old family cookbook, The Mennonite Community Cookbook. I swapped sugar for splenda and white flour for wheat. I wanted a cookie I could eat without sending my blood sugar on a rollercoaster ride.
- 1 cup shortening, i prefer butter
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups whole wheat flour, i use pastry flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening and peanut butter together I find that putting these ingredients together in a microwave safe bowl and microwaving for 30 seconds makes the mixing job a lot easier Add sugar and continue to cream together Add eggs and vanilla and beat In a separate bowl measure and add flour, salt, soda and baking powder together Sift dry ingredients to creamed mixture and mix thoroughly.
- The mixture will be crumbly but stick together if pressed with hands.
- Optional: Chill dough in refrigerator for several hours Shape dough into balls about 1 inch in diameter Space evenly on cookie sheet Press flat with fork Bake at 375 for 12 to 15 minutes.