1/2 Photos of Sugar-Free Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies
You won't miss the sugar in these cookies, which I adapted from a traditional recipe. The splenda should be the type that measures the same as sugar. If not, you want enough to equal 1/4 cup sugar. I recmmend using either all butter or at least 1/2 butter and half margarine, I also highly recommend using the St. Dalfour Strawberry Preserves, otherwise you won't get as good results. They are absolutely wonderful, sugar free with no artificial sweeteners and much better and more flavorfful than any other brand I've ever tried. I can't even tell the difference between the St. Dalfour strawberry preserves and those with sugar. It's worth the effort and price if you can find them. The company has a website you can order from, and tther flavors are great as well. Also note that if you plan to store the cookies for a bit, it might be better to bake them without the preserves and fill them just before serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter (softened) or 1/2 cup margarine (softened)
- 1/4 cup Splenda granular
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped and very lightly toasted (pecans or almonds will work as well)
- 1/2 cup st. dalfour strawberry preserves
- 1Place the oven rack in the center of your oven, and preheat to 350.
- 2Line cookie sheets with parchment paper, or spray with non-stick spray.
- 3Stir the preserves and mash up any chunks of strawberries so the preserves are as smooth as possible. Set aside.
- 4Using an electric mixer or hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy, at least 3 minutes. Add the egg yolk and the vanilla and beat until well-combined.
- 5In a separate bowl, whisk the flour and salt together and add to the butter mixture. Beat just until combined.
- 6In a small bowl, beat the egg white until frothy.
- 7Place the nuts on a small plate or shallow dish or bowl.
- 8Roll the dough into 1-inch balls. (If the dough is too soft to roll into balls, refrigerate for about 30 minutes). Coat each ball of dough with the egg white, roll lightly in the nuts, and place on the prepared cookie sheet.
- 9With your thumb or the rounded end of a wooden spoon, make an indentation in the middle of each cookie and fill with about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of preserves.
- 10Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until the cookies are set and the nuts are nicely browned.
- 11Wait a few moments, then remove to a rack to cool completely.
- 12NOTE: If you are planning to store the cookies for any length of time, you night want to bake them without the preserves and fill them right before serving.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sugar-Free Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (27 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 118.5
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 21.5 mg
- Sodium 61.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 1.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: