Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
For lovers of apple butter, why not try this for something a bit different? Found on CD Kitchen.
- 4 quarts water
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice, divided
- 4 lbs firm ripe pears
- 2⁄3 cup white grape juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 10 (1 g) packets Splenda sugar substitute (or to taste)
- In a kettle, combine water and half the lemon juice. Peel, core and quarter the pears, placing them in lemon juice mixture to retard browning until all have been peeled.
- Drain liquid in kettle. Add grape juice and remaining lemon juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until pears are soft,about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- Press through a sieve or food mill, or process in a blender until smooth. Return puree to kettle. Add spices;cook and stir until very thick; 20-35 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in sweetener. Adjust sweetener to taste.
- Pour into jars or plastic containers. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks. ( For longer storage time pour hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inches headspace. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Use within 3 weeks of opening).