1/1 Photo of Sugar Free Lemon Meringue Pie
I have taken this pie to many parties and functions. Unless asked, I don't let anyone know it's sugar free and they love it anyway. I got this from a cookbook of diabetic recipes which I lent to a co-worker and she never gave it back before she moved. I found the recipe again on the Equal website. (Whoops, forgot to put the word BAKED after the pie crust. It would be a little gross if the crust was raw. lol)!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 inch) pastry for single-crust pie, baked
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (fresh juice is a must)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 1/2 cups Equal Spoonful (or 36 packets of Equal Sweetener)
- 2 tablespoons stick butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 -2 drop yellow food coloring (optional)
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup Equal Spoonful (or 16 packets Equal Sweetnener)
- 1Combine water, lemon juice and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- 2Boil and stir 1 minute.
- 3Beat eggs, 2 egg whites and lemon peel in medium bowl. Mix in 1-1/2 cups Equal® or 36 packets.
- 4Stir about half of hot cornstarch mixture into egg mixture. Return all to saucepan.
- 5Cook and stir over low heat 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- 6Stir in butter until melted.
- 7Stir in food coloring, if desired.
- 8Pour mixture into baked pie shell.
- 9For Meringue:.
- 10beat 3 egg whites in mixing bowl on medium speed of mixer until foamy. Add cream of tartar.
- 11Beat to soft peaks. Gradually beat in 2/3 cup Equal® or 16 packets), beating to stiff peaks.
- 12Spread meringue over hot lemon filling, carefully sealing to edge of crust to prevent shrinking or weeping.
- 13Bake pie in 425° F oven about 5 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned.
- 14Cool completely on wire rack.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sugar Free Lemon Meringue Pie
Serving Size: 1 (149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 206.8
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 54.1 mg
- Sodium 202.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: