I have taken this pie to many parties and functions. Unless asked, I don't let anyone know it's sugar free and they love it anyway. I got this from a cookbook of diabetic recipes which I lent to a co-worker and she never gave it back before she moved. I found the recipe again on the Equal website. (Whoops, forgot to put the word BAKED after the pie crust. It would be a little gross if the crust was raw. lol)!
- 1 (9 inch) pastry for single-crust pie, baked
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice (fresh juice is a must)
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 1⁄2 cups Equal Spoonful (or 36 packets of Equal Sweetener)
- 2 tablespoons stick butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 -2 drop yellow food coloring (optional)
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2⁄3 cup Equal Spoonful (or 16 packets Equal Sweetnener)
- Combine water, lemon juice and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Beat eggs, 2 egg whites and lemon peel in medium bowl. Mix in 1-1/2 cups Equal® or 36 packets.
- Stir about half of hot cornstarch mixture into egg mixture. Return all to saucepan.
- Cook and stir over low heat 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter until melted.
- Stir in food coloring, if desired.
- Pour mixture into baked pie shell.
- For Meringue:.
- beat 3 egg whites in mixing bowl on medium speed of mixer until foamy. Add cream of tartar.
- Beat to soft peaks. Gradually beat in 2/3 cup Equal® or 16 packets), beating to stiff peaks.
- Spread meringue over hot lemon filling, carefully sealing to edge of crust to prevent shrinking or weeping.
- Bake pie in 425° F oven about 5 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned.
- Cool completely on wire rack.