Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Both my grandmothers made peach cobblers to die for: cake, crusted sugar, and peaches. Peaches in Florida were always perfectly ripened--the loose stone variety--juicy and tender. This is a reconstruction free of allergens. It's quite sweet if you have avoided sugar for a while but it's PERFECT for those just making the change. You can't even tell that this is sugar free. * A word on xylitol and erythritol. Some folks with IBS cannot that tolerate xylitol can usually use erythritol. Unlike maltitol or other sugar alcohols, xylitol is naturally derived from birch trees in a distillation process similar to soy sauce. So, if you don't have an issue with distillation (and those of you who drink any distilled alcohol or partake of soy sauce should not), then xylitol is a pretty cool sweetener. Truvia is pricier but a great choice for those with IBS. It's a blend of the stevia leaf and erythritol, another plant-derived sugar alcohol. Why do you care? Well...other sugar substitutes (Splenda, Equal, maltitol) are completely artificial and have various known and suspected negative health effects. ** For celiacs, I learned that many buckwheat flours are prepared on shared machines with gluten-containing grains. Run raw buckwheat kernals through a grain grinder or food processor to assure yourself of truly gluten-free flour.
- 3⁄4 cup Xylitol sweetener (*) or 3⁄4 cup erythritol (*)
- 2 cups peaches (sliced, peeled) or 2 cups apples (sliced, peeled) or 2 cups fruit (sliced, peeled)
- 1⁄2 cup Earth Balance natural buttery spread (non-dairy, soy-free)
- 3⁄4 cup buckwheat flour (**)
- 3⁄4 xylitol sugar substitute or 3⁄4 erythritol
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- Mix and let stand: 2 cups sliced peaches or more (or apples or other fruit) 3/4 cups xylitol or truvia.
- Melt 1/2 cup non-dairy, soy-free Earth Balance in shallow baking pan.
- Combine: 3/4 cups buckwheat flour, 3/4 xylitol or truvia, 3/4 cup coconut milk, 2 teaspoons baking powder, pinch of salt.
- Drop batter into baking dish that contains the Earth Balance.
- Don't stir! Pour peaches on top.
- Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees or until bubbly and brown.