Top Review by Courtney Elizabeth
A dieter's dream is right! Especially a cealic's! While there needs to be a few tweaks here and there, I am utterly thrilled this was posted. I am going to have to play around with it, but it was well worth the effort. Some tips from my few tries: First, I will say that yes, it is vital that every step be followed exactly. I didn't feel like seperating 12 eggs for their whites, so I bought a carton of egg whites. I used 2 cups, which according to the package should have made for 8 large eggs, but next time I may use only 1 3/4 cups, as the middle really tasted of egg. Second, my biggest mistake was not listing to my cooking intuition and greasing the pan- I am sure I burned all the calories from the cake I ate by scrubbing the pan when I was done. At least lightly spray with cooking spray so that you don't have big, white chunks of regret on your pans. Otherwise, I am SO glad I ran across this recipe; if you are gluten-free (or wheat-free like me) and are trying to cut calories, give it a whirl!
- 12 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup potato starch
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 3⁄4 cups Splenda granular, sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring egg whites to room temperature.
- Sift together the potato starch, cornstarch, and 1 3/4 cup Splenda; set aside.
- In large mixer bowl, combine egg whites, salt, cream of tartar, and vanilla extract.
- Beat on high speed until stiff and stand in peaks. This takes 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Do Not Overbeat.
- Turn mixer to lowest speed and sprinkle in the sifted flour mixture for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Carefully pour (using a rubber spatula) cake batter into the ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake at 375° for 35 minutes.
- Do not under bake as it will sink on you after baking.
- It is better to over bake this cake than under bake.
- The top can be well browned.
- Remove from oven and turn upside down on counter to cool.
- I place it on a sturdy bottle with a small enough neck that it fits through the center hole of the pan.
- This cake rises quite high.
- Let cool completely before using or freezing.