Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very nice for a sugar free cake. Lots of ingredients but worth it.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 3⁄4 cup chopped ready to eat dried apricot
- 1⁄2 cup pitted chopped dates
- 1⁄2 cup candied cherry, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 orange, rind of, grated
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons clear honey
- Grease and line with parchment paper an 8 inch cake pan.
- Sift the flour,baking powder and apple pie mix into a bowl.
- Rub the butter with your fingers until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Carefully stir in the chopped apricots, dates, and candies cherries and raisins with the milk, beaten eggs ,grated rind and orange juice.
- Stir in the honey and mix everything together to a soft dropping conistency.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and level the surface.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350oF for 1 hour until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let the pan cool before turning out.
I realise that a cake made with the rubbed method is not going to be as light as a creamed method cake so the density of the cake was not a disappointment. In fact, it was reasonably light for a rubbed method cake but I was careful and didn't work the flour too much. The flavour was good too, the honey and fruit giving just enough sweetness. However, I think it could have done with more fruit. There was just a bit too much cake to fruit for a denser cake. I decided to try making it into biscotti rather than wasting it. 4 hours in a low oven and we have something that is very tasty,chewy and crunchy. Funnily enough, some it disappeared during the slow cooking. It turns out that this cake is delicious hot!