Recipe by Wyatt'sGirl
I developed this recipe out of a need for a portable, fast, sugar-free, healthy breakfast. The recipe is very adaptable; these are quickly made in the food processor and are delicious in the morning with nut butter or cream cheese Note: If you use soy flour, flax seed meal and low carb mix and omit the fruit, these are much lower in carb count than the analysis indicates.
Top Review by One Happy Woman
Yum!!!! These are so easy and very substantial! I made these without the tangerines and with flax seed meal I'd ground from golden flax seeds (I whirled them up in the coffee grinder) - and added apple pie spice mix because whattheheck, I had it. Terrific, moist, and satisfying. No Atkins mix so I used a baking powder/soy/wheat gluten mix in its place. Really good with a little low-carb all fruit berry jam!
- 1 (1 lb) can pumpkin (not pie mix) or 1 1⁄2 cups shredded fresh zucchini
- 2 seedless tangerines (if you omit the tangerines or oranges, omit 1/2 cup of the soy flour, optional) (optional) or 1 large seedless orange, with peel, cut into 8 pieces (if you omit the tangerines or oranges, omit 1/2 cup of the soy flour) (optional)
- 4 extra large eggs (or 5 large)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup Splenda granular (or the equivalent in stevia powder)
- 1 cup soy flour
- 1 cup flax seed meal
- 1⁄2 cup wheat gluten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
spices of choice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons grated dried ginger (2 fingers) or 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (2 fingers)
- chopped nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease 12-cup muffin tin or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a food processor, puree eggs, oil and pumpkin or zucchini.
- Add optional ingredients if desired: 2 seedless tangerines or one seedless orange, with the peel.
- Add spices of choice.
- Add Splenda or Stevia powder, salt, baking powder and mix well.
- Add flax seed meal, flours and pulse until just mixed.
- Divide into 12 muffin cups and bake 25-30 minutes.
- Note: When I make these I use 1 cup soy flour, 1/2 cup wheat gluten, 1/2 cup CarbQuick baking mix. If you omit the tangerine/orange ingredient, reduce the flours by 1/2 cup.
- You may add nuts of choice, unsweetened coconut flakes.
- You may make these with bananas or apples, but that will increase the carbohydrate count.
- If you make these with zucchini, you may make chocolate muffins by substituting the wheat gluten with 1/2 cup dark, unsweetened cocoa powder.