Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipes uses Splenda, granulated and fat free half and half.
- 1 cup Splenda granular, no calorie artificial sweetener
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 7 egg yolks
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Note – if you wish to use rum, use 1 cup (235 mL) dark rum in place of the 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract.
- Mix together first 3 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Set aside.
- Whisk egg yolks; add to SPLENDA® Granulated mixture whisking until blended. Gradually whisk in milk.
- Cook over low heat, whisking constantly until the temperature reaches 175°, approximately (5 to 8 minutes). Remove from heat and whisk in half and half; cool.
- Cover and chill 3 hours or up to 3 days. Stir in rum or vanilla just before serving.
- 15 servings. Prep time : 20 minutes, cooking time: 5-10 minutes.
- Land O' Lakes Fat Free Half and Half.
- It looks and tastes like half and half, but it's made mostly of skim milk (and a little carrageenan for body) instead of half cream and half whole milk. That can revolutionize a typical Fettuccine Alfredo recipe, which could easily call for a quarter-cup (or more!) of heavy cream per serving, at the unsightly cost of 22 grams of fat, 14 of them saturated -- not including the butter or Parmesan cheese.
- With Fat Free Half and Half, those numbers drop to zero, but the flavor doesn't budge.
- You can also indulge in a tablespoon or two of Land O' Lakes for your coffee, macaroni and cheese, or mashed potatoes. You won't save as much because each tablespoon of whole milk or real half and half has only a gram or two of fat. But if you use two or three tablespoons per cup of coffee -- and drink two or three cups a day -- maybe a pint of Fat Free Half and Half belongs in your fridge.