1/1 Photo of Sugar Free Chocolate Mint Ice Cream
A smooth, custard based chocolate ice cream that is low in sugar, but high in satisfaction. I save the egg whites for egg white breakfast sandwiches.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring water in the bottom of a double boiler to boil.
- 2Pour half and half and mint leaves into the top of double boiler and put over boiling water.
- 3Crush or chop the unsweetened Baker's chocolate and add to milk and mint, stirring to melt chocolate.
- 4Add cocoa powder to hot milk mixture. Stir until milk is scalded, all chocolate is melted.
- 5Remove from heat.
- 6Whisk together egg yolks and sugar/Splenda (can use half sugar, half baking Splenda).
- 7Strain chocolate, mint mixture and press through a fine sieve.
- 8Pour a very small amount of chocolate mixture into the egg yolks and whisk vigorously. You do not want the yolks to cook. Continue until you've whisked in about 1/3 of the chocolate.
- 9Add tempered yolks, sugar, and chocolate mixture to the remaining chocolate, half and half mixture. Add salt.
- 10Stir over low heat until the mixture thickens, and when you lift a wooden spoon out of the mixture it coats the back of the spoon.
- 11Remove from heat and continue stirring. Put into fridge to cool down. Stir every 30 min or so to ensure it cools evenly.
- 12Let cool 4-8 hours or overnight.
- 13Pour into your prepared ice cream maker, add rum, and mix per directions. The rum is to lower the freezing temperature, so only add at the end or the alcohol cooks off.
- 14For soft serve, serve immediately or for a harder ice cream, freeze for 2 hours before serving. If you don't eat it all that evening, remove from freezer and let sit for 30 minutes to make it easier to scoop as all homemade ice cream freezes hard.
- 15Cooking time equals time in the ice cream maker.
Browse Our Top Ice Cream Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sugar Free Chocolate Mint Ice Cream
Serving Size: 1 (89 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 175.3
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 133.0 mg
- Sodium 81.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 4.8 g