Recipe by joeknee
Modification of full sugar recipe found on this site. I use Nature Sweet crystals or Xylitol as a sugar replacer as they give a better texture than Splenda brand.
Top Review by sunterior
1 STAR I really wanted to like this recipe. sugar free chocolate cake, perfect! Since the photo showed cupcakes, I baked them in a muffin pan with liners. When I took the pan out of the oven the batter had boiled over leaving a crater in each cupcake, and crusty mess on the bottom of my oven. Now I have to clean my oven before I can try a new recipe. Since the photo shows successful cupcakes, the problem might be our 7,000 elevation. Things boil more readily here.
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon low-sugar apple butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together flour, 3 Tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, and baking powder.
- Add milk, apple butter, and vanilla.
- Stir till smooth.
- Transfer batter to 1-quart baking dish.
- Combine the 5 Tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons cocoa.
- Gradually stir in boiling water.
- Pour evenly over batter.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
- Serve warm.