Recipe by Sarah
Found on ninemsn website. This apple sauce is sweetened with apple juice concentrate instead of sugar. No need to peel or core the apples, you use the whole lot in this recipe. The pectin in the skin will thicken the cold apple sauce. (Prep time is time needed after cooking).
- 1 kg apple (I used Royal Gala, which are a red apple)
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice (one lemon)
- 2 tablespoons apple juice concentrate
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop apples coarsely, but DO NOT peel or core.
- Add apples, apple juice and lemon juice to heavy based saucepan.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes, covered, or until apples collapse.
- Stir through concentrate.
- Place a coarse sieve over a large bowl and using a large wooden spoon, press cooked apples through the sieve. (This separates the skin and seeds from the puree.) This is probably the hardest part of the recipe. I had to have a few rests doing while doing this! It would be good to have others around to help out with this bit. lol.
- Discard leftovers in the sieve.
- The apple sauce is now ready to serve, either hot or cold.