Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a great substitute for those high-calorie apple pies and cobblers that abound. I like to serve it with a either a scoop of low-fat vanilla ice cream or a dallop of Cool Whip on top while it's still warm. Mmmm!
- *Tips: I soak my apples in a lemon juice and water mixture to keep them from turning brown as I slice them. Drain before adding the spices. You can substitute Egg Beaters for the egg whites.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9" pie plate with cooking spray (I use butter flavored) and set aside.
- To prepare the streusel, in a small bowl, mix the flour and brown sugar and cut the light butter into it until it forms small clumps. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine apple slices with cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour into the prepared pie plate and set aside.
- Whip the remaining ingredients together with a wire whisk and pour over the apples. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the top of the pie.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for five minutes. Cover and refrigerate any remaining pie.
This is good, it is like one of those impossible pies or a crustless pie. I made a few additions, added some nuts to the streusel, used apple pie spice instead of the spices listed, and 2 eggs inspead of 3 egg whites. Not quite like an apple pie, since the egg mixture is in-between the apple slices and is sort of "custardy", but it is good and easy to put together. Made for PAC Fall 2007.