Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I found this recipe on a Splenda ad, tried it and modified it a bit. I have made it several times for my husband who will NOT eat anything sugarfree...he really likes this version of apple pie.
- 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 5 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 golden delicious apple, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut up
- 1 (15 ounce) packageof pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts
- Prepare piecrusts according to package directions, fit 1 piecrust into 9 inch pie plate.
- Stir together Splenda, flour, cinnamon mixture.
- Stir and coat apples with flour sugar mixture, pour into pie plate, dot with pieces of butter.
- Place remaining pie crust on top, crimp edges and make slits in top crust or pierce evenly with a fork to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes.
- Makes 8 servings.
- Great with Sugar Free ice cream or Lite Frozen whipped topping on it.
I just want to make an important note for those wanting to serve diabetics: this is reduced sugar, not sugar free, as you can see in the Nutrition Facts. (apples naturally contain sugar) Also, white flour is readily converted to sugar in the body, with a Glycemic Index (GI) of 85, higher than that of the apple's 40 and even the table sugar (GI of 70). If you are looking to make this diabetic friendly, try replacing the flour with almond meal (GI of 15) and soy flour (GI of 25), and using Truvia or Purevia (a combination of Stevia and erythritol, both GI of 0) as the sweetener.
Absolutely delicious! My husband, who considers himself an apple pie guru, declared that this was the best apple pie he'd ever eaten. It was, without question, a big hit at my holiday dinner. It'll certainly be back on the menu well before the next major holiday!
This is a great, standard recipe as is. However, I have also added 1/2 t. of nutmeg, per other suggestions, and 1T of lemon juice. I also upped the flour to 2T to compensate for the lemon juice. I have also made this with different kinds of apples or a mix and everytime this pie comes out great. Thanks Quilting B.!!!!!!