Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Dojemi found this recipe for me on cooks.com. I'd lost it and was searching for it recently! If you're feeling like going the extra mile, you could make a crumble topping with oatmeal, splenda and melted butter.
- 8 -12 apples, peeled, cored, & sliced
- 1 (1 ounce) package sugar-free vanilla pudding, not instant type
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or more)
- 2 tablespoons butter, approximately
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- Stir the dry pudding mix into the apples in a bowl.
- Put into unbaked pie shell, sprinkle with water and cinnamon. Dot with butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees until apples are tender. 20-25 minutes.
What a novel way to sweeten a pie! The flavors were wonderful and balanced. I made this twice to check the baking time. The first time I baked it about 70 minutes for the apples to be cooked. The crust was cooked but a bit soggy on the bottom. The second time through I sliced my apples very thin, prebaked the shell 5 minutes to help with the "soggy" problem and baked the crust with the fruit in it 70 minutes. It worked much better. In the future, I think I'll omit the crust and add the oatmeal topping you suggest to make more of an apple crisp because the filling was yummy. Thanks A la Carte.