Recipe by momstar
This is the vest!! Found this recipe 26 years ago. It was first dessert I made after becoming a Type 1 diabetic. The secret is using apple juice as the sweetener. Equals 1 1/2 fruit exchanges, 1 bread exchange and 2 fat exchanges
- 4 cups sliced peeled apples (sweet varieties are best)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, undiluted
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons tapioca or 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons cornstarch or 1 teaspoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon or 1⁄2-1 teaspoon nutmeg or 1⁄2-1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie
Directions See How It's Made
- Divide pastry into 2 parts and roll to fit an 8 0r 9 inch plate. Set aside.
- Mix apples, apple juice concentrate, thickener and spice and stir until apples are well-coated. Add lemon juice, if desired. Taste 1 piece of apple to check the spice. Pour into the pastry-lined pie pan and top with second crust or pastry strips.
- Seal the edges and cut slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 425° for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve warm or cold.