Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
For that sweet tooth
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Splenda granular, sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Chop almonds into small bits.
- Using an electric mixer beat egg whites, cream of tartar, almond extract and salt until the eggs form soft peaks. While continuing to beat, add Splenda one tablespoon at a time. Continue to beat for until eggs form stiff peaks.
- Sift cornstarch over and gently fold in the almonds into the egg mixture. Make sure you have a nice even distribution.
- To make the meringues, you can drop the batter in rounded tablespoons onto the parchment about one inch apart.
- Place baking sheets into the oven and bake one hour. Rotating cookie sheets front to back and . If one sheet is above the other in your oven (not side-to-side) then flip the sheets as well. Continue baking until the meringues are dry, about an additional hour.
- Remove the baking sheets from the oven and allow the meringues to completely cool before removing them from the parchment.
- Store in an air tight container for up to one week.