1 hr 25 mins
This makes a compact, full-flavored pie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups peeled peeled cored and thinly sliced Granny Smith apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- prepared pastry for double-crust pie, refrigerated
- 1Make the filling at least 4 or up to 12 hours before assembling the pie.
- 2Put the apples in a large mixing bowl.
- 3In a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour, and cinnamon; stir this mixture into the apples.
- 4Stir in the lemon juice and salt; toss well.
- 5Cover the bowl with saran wrap and refrigerate, stirring every hour or so, when you think of it.
- 6Remove the filling from the refrigerator about 1 hour before you plan to use it.
- 7Turn the filling into the chilled 9-inch pie shell and smooth the top with your hands.
- 8Dampen the edge of the pie shell with a wet fingertip or pastry brush.
- 9Invert the top pastry over the filling, center, and peel off the paper.
- 10Press the top and bottom pastries together along the dampened edge.
- 11Trim the pastry and crimp/flute as desired.
- 12Poke several steam vents in the top of the pie with a fork or paring knife.
- 13Put a couple of the vents near the edge of the crust so you can check the juices there later.
- 14Place the pie on the center rack in the oven; bake at 400° for 25 minutes.
- 15Lower the temperature to 375° and rotate the pie 180°.
- 16Continue to bake about 25-30 minutes or until the top of the pie is golden and the juices visible at the steam vents bubble thickly.
- 17Transfer pie to a wire rack.
- 18While the pie is hot, dust with powdered sugar.
- 19Let cool at least 1 hour before serving.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sugar-Dusted Apple Strudel Pie
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 96.3
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 26.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 19.2 g
- Protein 0.5 g