Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
This makes a compact, full-flavored pie.
Make and share this Sugar-Dusted Apple Strudel Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Make the filling at least 4 or up to 12 hours before assembling the pie.
- Put the apples in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour, and cinnamon; stir this mixture into the apples.
- Stir in the lemon juice and salt; toss well.
- Cover the bowl with saran wrap and refrigerate, stirring every hour or so, when you think of it.
- Remove the filling from the refrigerator about 1 hour before you plan to use it.
- Turn the filling into the chilled 9-inch pie shell and smooth the top with your hands.
- Dampen the edge of the pie shell with a wet fingertip or pastry brush.
- Invert the top pastry over the filling, center, and peel off the paper.
- Press the top and bottom pastries together along the dampened edge.
- Trim the pastry and crimp/flute as desired.
- Poke several steam vents in the top of the pie with a fork or paring knife.
- Put a couple of the vents near the edge of the crust so you can check the juices there later.
- Place the pie on the center rack in the oven; bake at 400° for 25 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 375° and rotate the pie 180°.
- Continue to bake about 25-30 minutes or until the top of the pie is golden and the juices visible at the steam vents bubble thickly.
- Transfer pie to a wire rack.
- While the pie is hot, dust with powdered sugar.
- Let cool at least 1 hour before serving.