This is a favourite with the grandkiddies and me too! For a change in pace, add cinnamon to the butter/sugar mix for rolling. Also, thinking you could add a dollop of your favourite jam before completely filling the cup (havent tried that yet).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a muffin tin with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar and egg until light in color.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- Pour into egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour in vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract.
- Divide batter evenly into 10 muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While muffins are baking, melt butter and pour remaining sugar into a small bowl.
- When muffins are done, lightly brush the top of each with some melted butter, remove from the pan and roll in sugar. Cool on a wire rack.
This were OK. They did not have a donut (or old fashioned donut) consistency - more like regular vanilla/plain muffins. I don't think I will make these again.
I just made these for my daughter's "Muffins with Mom" event at school, and they were fabulous! They stayed moist and somewhat cakey, and the sugar on top set them off nicely. I doubled the recipe and I did add a pinch of cinnamon. I also accidentally used Vanilla Nut & Butter Flavoring for 1 of the 2 teaspoons of vanilla that the double batch called for, but they turned out great. I really love PunzeePuss's idea of adding jelly to the middle, and I think I will try this next time. Thank you for posting! They are great!
Sooo simple yet sooooo good! I decided to make a "test" batch and changed the measurements to make 15 (but then only make twelve BIG muffins). I then added a little reduced sugar strawberry jelly to most of them which took it to a whole new level! With or without the jelly, my friends, son and I couldn't get enough. I plan on making a few batches of it for his birthday party this weekend and make different flavors!