Recipe by Joy1996
I got this recipe in 1996 from a Pillsbury cookbook - we love these!
Top Review by Angie in St. Charles
These were super easy to make! I used canned sweet potatoes since the recipe never said what to use specifically. I didn't use the entire can, but I think I will use all of them next time I make these. They tasted great with or without butter and the sugar on top gave a wonderful flavor. The biscuits spread a little thin but they were still wonderful. They were great with dinner but they would be good for breakfast too! Thanks for a unique recipe.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cooked fresh mashed sweet potato or 1⁄2 cup canned sweet potato
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray cookie sheet with Pam.
- In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and 2T.
- brown sugar; mix well.
- Using pastry blender or fork, cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly.
- In a small bowl combine milk, sweet potato and sour cream; blend well.
- Add to flour mixture all at once, stirring just til moistened.
- Drop 1/4c.
- dough at a time onto cookie sheet; sprinkle with remaining 2T.
- brown sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until peaks and bottoms of biscuits are golden brown.
- Remove from pan immediately.
- Note: Microwave a sweet potato until soft and then scoop out the 1/2 cup- simple!