Prep 10 mins
Cook 27 mins
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with non stick cooking spray, dust with flour.
- In a small bowl, combine egg whites and 1/2 tsp baking powder; beat until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup and level off.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and remaining cake ingredients.
- Beat at low speed until moistened, beat for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Gently fold in egg whites into batter.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 27 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients; spread over hot cake.
- Cool cake completely in the pan on a wire rack.
This is a great little cake. I have been making this exact recipe for probably 15 years. I think it came from Cooking Light magazine. It is light & has a nice tart taste to it. It is a nice size cake for a small family. I made this cake again today!
If you love lime this cake is bursting with great flavor. It isn't a showy cake, but it sure tastes fabulous. In a 9 inch pan my cake was only about an 1 & 1/2 inches high. It was fully cooked at 27 minutes. We couldn't wait until it cooled to taste it and it was great warm.