Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is easy. At the time, I didn't have enough half and half, only 2 cups, subbed last 1/2 cup with heavy whipping cream and it worked. My husband said this was a keeper recipe. I never timed myself on getting everything ready and mix time so it might be longer or shorter.
- 1 pie shell, baked
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 -3 drops yellow food coloring
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (less than 1/4 cup)
- Mix 3/4 cup sugar, half and half, and salt in saucepan. Cook to boiling point.
- Mix remaining sugar and cornstarch in another pan.
- Add boiling mixture gradually to cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly.
- Add vanilla, food coloring, and butter; return to heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly until thick.
- Pour in pie shell and sprinkle with nutmeg, and less than 1/4 cup sugar. Just a layer of sugar for color and extra flavor.
- Bake at 325 degrees for around 30 minutes until the top is a nice tan, cripsy color.
- Set out to cool and enjoy!