Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A spicy sugar cookie from South Africa. The addition of brandy and port wine make these unique. Posted for ZWT 2006. Cooking time does not include chilling the dough before rolling.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup ground almonds (optional)
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup port wine
- Preheat oven 400°F.
- In bowl, cream butter and shortening. Add cloves, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and orange peel. Mix well.
- Beat in eggs, sugar, and almonds.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Add to butter mixture alternately with the brandy and wine.
- Chill dough for about 30 minutes to an hour, or until firm enough to roll.
- Turn chilled dough out on a floured board and roll until the dough is very thin.
- Using pastry cutters, cut the dough into desired shapes.
- Bake on greased cookie sheets for 10-15 minutes, or until nicely browned.
ZWT4: Wow Annisette. This is a very delicious and unique flavored cookie. We loved them!