Recipe by evelyn/athens
Cardamom is a much-loved spice used in Scandinavian baking. These cookies make good use of it. Bake up a batch now to enjoy with your favourite ice cream or alone, with a glass of milk.
Top Review by Kim D.
We really enjoyed these cookies! I followed the direction but didn't realize I was close to being out of almond extract, so I only used about 1/4 teaspoon. Everyone liked the cookies and I will make these again. Thanks Evelyn! (Made for ZWT3)
- 1 cup softened butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- sugar, for dusting tops
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat the butter until creamy. Beat in the sugar until well blended.
- Stir in the egg, then the salt, cardamom, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- Slowly add the flour, blending well.
- Refrigerate the dough for 30-90 minutes. Take out only enough to work with at one time.
- Roll to 1/8" thickness on a lightly floured board. (Flour the rolling pin lightly, too, or use a rolling pin cover.) Cut the dough with floured cutters.
- Place cookies on ungreased baking sheets (optional: use parchment paper). Leave a little room between cookies. Dust with the sugar of your choice and bake at 350°F for 11-15 minutes until lightly browned at edges. Remove cookies from baking sheets after 1-2 minutes and let them cool.
- These cookies may be frozen. You can refrigerate the dough or even freeze it for later use.