Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Delicious sugar cookies, especially if you use the vanilla and almond extracts together. Perfect for roll-and-cut Christmas cookies. Can also be formed into logs for slice-and-bake cookies. Thanks to PetitFour for the original recipe! Prep time includes chilling time.
- 3 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla (or half vanilla and half almond extract)
- Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl.
- Using stand mixer or hand mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping down bowl each time, then vanilla and/or almond extract.
- Add flour mixture gradually and mix at low speed until comes together.
- Turn out onto flat surface.
- Knead a couple of times just until smooth.
- Pat into a flat disk, wrap in plastic and chill until firm enough to roll, about one hour.
- Roll and cut as desired.
- Bake at 350 about 8-10 minutes on parchment-lined sheets.
Great cookies for frosting! They aren't very sweet, so the frosting doesn't kill you with sugar. I had trouble with them because I rolled them out too thin (about 1/4 inch) , and they came out dry and crunchy. Once I realized the problem and rolled them a little thicker, they were great.
These made 50 beautiful Christmas cookies when iced with Christmas Cooking Icing by Junebug (64015). The dough was very workable and i did not even need to refrigerate it.
I don't know where all these good reviews came from because these were horrible!! They had NO flavor at all. They were so bad that after trying one from the first batch I took the second batch out of the oven before they were done and threw them away!