Recipe by nmhaas82
My great-grandmother made the BEST sugar cookies. They are soft and delicious and easy to make! I remember helping my grandmother roll out the balls of dough and flatten them on the pan, and now my son helps me do the same thing! Perfect family activity!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Simple to make & a pleasure to eat: What more could you want! We fell in love with these great tasting treats! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block recipe tag]
- 1 cup shortening (1/2 c. lard, 1/2 butter)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften lard and butter, and stir in sugar and eggs.
- Then add salt, vanilla, cream of tartar, baking soda, and flour. Mix well.
- Roll dough into balls (about the size of ping pong balls or a little smaller).
- Roll the balls in a bowl of sugar.
- Place the balls on a greased cookie sheet.
- Grease the bottom of a glass and push it into the sugar. Use the glass to push each ball flat so it is about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes or just until the outside edges start to brown.
- Cool them on parchment paper.