Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Sarah wanted a sugar cookie and had VERY definite expectations for it's taste, texture, everything (cookies are her favorite food). So I created this, and it was a success!
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter (salted works fine)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- sugar, for rolling (I use coarse sugar)
- Set out butter to bring temperature down.
- Preheat oven to 365 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Beat egg lightly.
- Beat butter in a electric mixer on low for 1 minute.
- Add sugar slowly to butter while mixing.
- Add vanilla to butter (still mixing!).
- Add egg to the butter-sugar mixture while mixing. Scrape the sides of the mixing bowl and mix a little more to ensure everything is mixing well.
- Add flour mixture in batches to the cookie dough. Once it is all incorporated, scrape the bowl again and mix a tad more.
- Roll cookie dough into 1 1/4 inch balls (give or take, depending on your cookie size preference), roll in sugar, and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies for 8 - 9 minutes.
- Cool for 1 - 2 minutes on cookie sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.