Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
One day during the holidays, I was on hold with the local NPR station playing in the back ground. They offered a Sugar Cookie recipe from someone from my home town and on a whim I wrote it down. These make a tender, soft flavorful sugar cookie that is great to decorate. We love chocolate at our so often the cookies get frosted with chocolate with a colored sugar sprinkled on top. Makes an easy to roll out cookie with a great taste.
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup large vegetable shortening
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 5 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder, heaping
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 5 cups flour (enough to make a soft dough)
- Cream together the sugar and Crisco.
- Add the remaining ingredients in the order given.
- Stir until combined.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface and cut in desired shapes.
- Bake 7-8 minutes at 375 F until just done but NOT brown.
- The recipe is written as I heard it. The term "large cup" of shortening is as dictated. I tend to use a slightly heaping cup.
- If I am in doubt about the cookie being done, I will lift a cookie off of the sheet and look at its' underside but you really don't want the cookies to brown because then they are over-done.