Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Sugar cookies made with applesauce instead of all butter. They bake flatter and are slightly sweeter than regular sugar cookies, wit.hout adding extra sugar. This is a modified recipe from an old Betty Crocker cookbook
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 sheet parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Make the applesauce - store bought will work as well, but you will have to adjust the sugar to taste. Core, peel and slice 2 medium sweet apples. Puree in a food processor, adding water .5 tbsp at a time until applesauce consistency is reached.
- Cream applesauce, butter and sugar in a mixer.
- Add egg, vanilla and almond extracts, and lemon juice.
- Mix flour and baking soda. Blend into wet mixture a half cup at a time.
- Drop onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper by tablespoons.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes, until the cookies are lightly browned and still soft.
- Let cool to firmness on parchment paper, then transfer to a plate or cooling rack.