Recipe by Altari
Sugar cookies made with applesauce instead of all butter. They bake flatter and are slightly sweeter than regular sugar cookies, wit.hout adding extra sugar. This is a modified recipe from an old Betty Crocker cookbook
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 sheet parchment paper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Make the applesauce - store bought will work as well, but you will have to adjust the sugar to taste. Core, peel and slice 2 medium sweet apples. Puree in a food processor, adding water .5 tbsp at a time until applesauce consistency is reached.
- Cream applesauce, butter and sugar in a mixer.
- Add egg, vanilla and almond extracts, and lemon juice.
- Mix flour and baking soda. Blend into wet mixture a half cup at a time.
- Drop onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper by tablespoons.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes, until the cookies are lightly browned and still soft.
- Let cool to firmness on parchment paper, then transfer to a plate or cooling rack.