Recipe by Chef Sunshine
This recipe was given to me by the dear ladies from my church and has been a hit with my friends and family every Christmas. Frost with any icing you like.
Top Review by SJones7208
I've never been a huge sugar cookie baker because they never seemed to come out right...that has all changed with this recipe! My daughter decided she wanted sugar cookies as her thank-you gift at their upcoming wedding so I've been experimenting ever since. The recipe is easy and is the best we've ever tasted. The buttermilk makes a world of difference. Thank you SO much for sharing your recipe!
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, cream sugar, butter and vanilla until light colored.
- Beat in eggs.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour and baking powder.
- In a separate small bowl, dissolve the baking soda in the buttermilk.
- Stir the egg mixture and buttermilk mixture into the dry incrementally. The dough should be stiff.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut with cookie cutters and arrange on cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes.