Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was given to me by the dear ladies from my church and has been a hit with my friends and family every Christmas. Frost with any icing you like.
- In a mixing bowl, cream sugar, butter and vanilla until light colored.
- Beat in eggs.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour and baking powder.
- In a separate small bowl, dissolve the baking soda in the buttermilk.
- Stir the egg mixture and buttermilk mixture into the dry incrementally. The dough should be stiff.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut with cookie cutters and arrange on cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes.
I've never been a huge sugar cookie baker because they never seemed to come out right...that has all changed with this recipe! My daughter decided she wanted sugar cookies as her thank-you gift at their upcoming wedding so I've been experimenting ever since. The recipe is easy and is the best we've ever tasted. The buttermilk makes a world of difference. Thank you SO much for sharing your recipe!
These are wonderful cookies. I didn't have any buttermilk on hand so I soured milk by adding a Tablespoon of white vinegar. I rolled the cookies in a ball and rolled them in sugar and flattened them with a glass bottom that was dipped in sugar. My husband loved these. Thanks for the great recipe.
Perfect for the Holidays, especially for cutout cookies. I make cookies with my Nieces and Nephews during the Holiday's, so Thanks I'll use this at Christmas.