1/7 Photos of Sugar Cookie Apple Crisp
In this version of apple crisp, prepared sugar cookie dough is used to create a chewy, crispy, sweet and all-but instant topping for the classic fall dessert. And there's plenty of room for improvisation here. If you like your crisps with large chunks of topping, skip the food processor and oats. Simply break off clumps of dough and scatter them over the apples (or pears or a blend). The cookie dough also could be adulterated with all manner of add-ins, from candy bits and chocolate chips to dried fruit or nuts. With the exception of nuts, add-ins are best mixed into the dough and oats after processing. For speed and ease, this recipe calls for prepared cookie dough (the sort found in the grocer's refrigerator case), but if you have the time homemade dough would taste even better. And when serving, don't forget the vanilla ice cream. After all, milk and cookies go so well together.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped into bite-size chunks
- 1 (14 ounce) package refrigerated sugar cookie dough, broken into chunks
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9-by-9-inch casserole or deep baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2In a large bowl, combined the butter, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and salt. Add the apples and toss to coat. Transfer the apples, using a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl, to the casserole dish. Set aside.
- 3In a food processor, combine the cookie dough and oats. Pulse several times, or until the mixture resembles coarse, wet sand. Use your hands to sprinkle the mixture over the apples.
- 4Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the topping is lightly browned and the apples bubble. Let cool slightly before serving.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sugar Cookie Apple Crisp
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 455.6
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 29.3 mg
- Sodium 337.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 37.5 g
- Protein 4.2 g