- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups fine shredded unsweetened coconut (with brown husk removed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- food coloring (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil sugar and water to from a light syrup.
- When bubbles the size of small pearls appear, add grated coconut and cream of tartar.
- When the coconut mixture leaves the side of the pan easily (No syrup must be running out), remove from the heat and beat with a spoon for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the almond extract and food colouring of your choice, if desired.
- Drop by spoon onto a greased tray for free form sugar cakes or put to cool in a Pyrex dish and cut into squares.