Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This salad came about after a comment from a friend, who told me, after sampling my Sugar-and-Spice Nuts, that they would be great in a salad. I thought so too and came up with this.
- 6 cups washed salad greens
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 seedless oranges, peeled and all white pith removed
- 1⁄4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup sugar-and-spice nuts (Sugar-And-Spice Nuts)
- First, prepare a batch of my Sugar-and-Spice Nuts, recipe#12761 here at Recipezaar; this can be done ahead of time, just make sure you reserve 3/4 cup and don't eat them all!
- Wash salad greens and dry them, then place in serving dish; a wide, fairly flat dish looks best for presentation.
- Peel oranges by slicing off a thin layer of the top and bottom, then placing oranges on your cutting board and, with a sharp knife, follow the curves of the orange to cut off peel and pith.
- Thinly slice oranges and add to salad greens along with red onion.
- Prepare dressing by whisking together the thawed concentrate, sherry vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over salad and lightly toss.
- Garnish with nuts and serve immediately.
Yummy Yummy Yummy!! This salad takes quite some time to make but definetely worthwhile. The nuts taste great as is (WARNING: dangerously addictive; Keep off chief's sight). The orange peeling part is frustrating (as my knife is not very sharp) but the salad is really sooo wonderful and pretty. Great summer salad. I will make it again next week! Thank you for the recipe!