Recipe by Lennie
This salad came about after a comment from a friend, who told me, after sampling my Sugar-and-Spice Nuts, that they would be great in a salad. I thought so too and came up with this.
Top Review by Izzy Knight
Yummy Yummy Yummy!! This salad takes quite some time to make but definetely worthwhile. The nuts taste great as is (WARNING: dangerously addictive; Keep off chief's sight). The orange peeling part is frustrating (as my knife is not very sharp) but the salad is really sooo wonderful and pretty. Great summer salad. I will make it again next week! Thank you for the recipe!
- 6 cups washed salad greens
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 seedless oranges, peeled and all white pith removed
- 1⁄4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup sugar-and-spice nuts (Sugar-And-Spice Nuts)
Directions See How It's Made
- First, prepare a batch of my Sugar-and-Spice Nuts, recipe#12761 here at Recipezaar; this can be done ahead of time, just make sure you reserve 3/4 cup and don't eat them all!
- Wash salad greens and dry them, then place in serving dish; a wide, fairly flat dish looks best for presentation.
- Peel oranges by slicing off a thin layer of the top and bottom, then placing oranges on your cutting board and, with a sharp knife, follow the curves of the orange to cut off peel and pith.
- Thinly slice oranges and add to salad greens along with red onion.
- Prepare dressing by whisking together the thawed concentrate, sherry vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over salad and lightly toss.
- Garnish with nuts and serve immediately.