Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Living in the German town of Cincinnati, they sell freshly roasted almonds similar to these at all the festivals. This recipe is very close and I love to give it to friends for the holidays!
- 3 cups whole almonds
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 275f.
- In a large bowl, place nuts; set aside.
- In small bowl, beat egg white and juice until frothy.
- Add sugar, orange rind, spices and salt, mix well.
- Pour over nuts, stirring to coat well.
- On greased cookie sheet, spread nuts so they do not touch.
- Bake, stirring every 15 minutes until light brown and crisp, 45-55 minutes.
- Cool completely and store in airtight container in cool place for up to one month.
I didn't have any almonds on hand and the store was already closed for Christmas so I used a mixture of pecans, walnuts, and peanuts. This turned out wonderful and each of the different nuts tasted great. I preferred the pecans myself. I'll try this again in the future. I might try adding cayenne pepper in addition to the other spices for a little hidden kick. Thanks for posting this recipe!
Made these babies last night to take for Thanksgiving...YUM! I toasted mine a bit longer to make sure they have that nice crunch. I loved the combination of spices and orange with the toasted almond flavor. Next time I'll maybe spice it up a bit and add curry or cayenne! Thanks!