Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This flavorful, succulent turkey is marinated overnight in a brown sugar rub.
Make and share this Sugar-And-Spice Cured Turkey recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (12 lb) turkey
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt or 2 tablespoons coarse-grain sea salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 (14 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- additional chicken broth, as required
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Remove giblets and neck; rinse turkey with cold water.
- Pat dry.
- Tie legs together with string; tuck wingtips under.
- Combine brown sugar and next 6 ingredients.
- Rub over turkey.
- Cover with plastic wrap; chill 8 hours.
- Place turkey on a rack in a roasting pan, breast side up.
- Arrange onion quarters round turkey.
- Pour 2 cans broth in bottom of pan.
- Bake, loosely covered with foil, at 325°F for 1 1/2 hours.
- Uncover and bake 1 1/2 more hours or until meat thermometer registers 180°F.
- (Cover with foil to prevent excessive browning, if necessary.) Remove onion; discard, reserving pan drippings.
- Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving.
- Combine pan drippings and enough additional chicken broth to equal 2 cups in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve with turkey.