Recipe by KCShell
My MIL passed away one month before our wedding so my DH holds this recipe close to his heart. The secret is to roll these in powdered sugar after baking, when cool. They are chewy and perfect!
Top Review by Sandy in Oklahoma
I made spice cookies for my children while they were growing up. I lost the recipe in a flood and have been searching for one similar for about 10 years. I added 1 tsp of vanilla to your recipe and it tastes exactly like my old recipe. My now grown children have been asking me to make spice cookies for Christmas so you've made us all very happy! This is a delicious cookie. Thanks for posting it.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together shortening, sugar, egg and molasses.
- Sift together soda, salt, spices and flour.
- Mix shortening mixture and flour mixture together.
- Chill 2 hours or more.
- Using 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough, make into balls.
- Place onto ungreased cookie sheet about 2- inches apart.
- Cookie will flatten and spread out.
- Bake at 375° for 10 minutes.
- Place on cookie rack to cool.
- When cool, roll into powdered sugar.