Recipe by Michelle S.
These have been a favorite since I was a little girl. I remember eating these in front of the TV watching "Romper room". The dough is quite soft, so I always put it in the fridge between baking batches for easier rolling.
Top Review by luvmybge
oh.. I can see why you refrigerate them before baking... but these are a great tasting spice cookie. I baked them for my mom's Bible study class meeting and they all enjoyed them. Thanks for the recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup Crisco shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- additional sugar, to roll cookies in
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream Crisco, sugar, egg, and molasses till fluffy.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- Form into small balls using a teaspoon.
- Roll into sugar.
- Place on ungreased cookies sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. Watch carefully towards end so they do not burn.