Prep 1 hr
Cook 22 mins
This was a BIG hit when I baked it for my family. This recipe is from an old issue of Southern Living magazine. I used Southern Living's Vanilla Buttercream Frosting No-Bake Snickers Snack Bars-Use up That Leftover Halloween Candy. I hope you enjoy the ten mile hike you should take after eating this slice of blissful sin!
- 1 (18 ounce) package white cake mix
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- buttercream icing
- Heat oven to 360 degrees. Beat all of the ingredients together at a low speed with an electric mixer until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase speed to medium, and beat two minutes until batter is smooth, stopping to scrape down the bottom and sides of bowl as needed. Pour batter into three greased and floured 8 inch cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 22 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool pans on wire racks 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks and cool completely for about one hour. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze one hour or up to one month.
- Spread Vanilla Buttercream icing between layers, on top, and up the sides of cake. Garnish as desired.
Read MF's review. I haven't made this recipe but I would guess that you are NOT meant to add the ingredients on the box unless they include anything beyond what this recipe calls for. Eggs and fat are standard ingredients on cake mix boxes and you wouldn't want to double them, I shouldn't think. Hope this helps if you want to try. It's an easy mistake to make, so don't feel bad.
Question: I made this cake last night and it was horribly flat. Didn't rise at all. The directions don't mention it, but are you supposed to include the ingredients called for on the cake mix box as well?