1/11 Photos of Sufganiyot (Jelly Doughnuts)
1 hr 4 mins
Simple, easy, pretty! I usually have to add some flour to keep it from sticking to the bowl.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk or 1 1/2 cups soymilk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons shortening or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 5 cups flour
- oil, for deep frying
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) jar strawberry jelly (or other fruit jelly)
- confectioners' sugar
- 1Sprinkle yeast over warm water and let stand five minutes or until foamy.
- 2In a large bowl, mix together the yeast mixture, milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and two cups flour. Mix for a few minutes at low speed.
- 3Beat in remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl. Knead for about five minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- 4Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about an hour or a bit longer.
- 5Turn the dough onto a floured surface and gently roll out to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut into circles. Let rise again until doubled in bulk.
- 6Heat 4 cups of oil in a deep fryer or large pot to 350. Carefully slide doughnuts into hot oil using a wide spatula. Turn the doughnuts over as they rise to the surface. Doughnuts are ready when both sides are golden brown.
- 7Fill with 1 T jelly using a pastry injector, or by cutting a small slit in the side of the doughnut and inserting the jelly with a baby spoon. Close tightly; roll in confectioners' sugar.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sufganiyot (Jelly Doughnuts)
Serving Size: 1 (44 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 124.0
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 10.5 mg
- Sodium 69.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 2.3 g