Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Sufganiyot are jelly donuts eaten during Chanukkah when it is customary to eat fried foods. Obviously these cupcakes aren't fried, but the upside is that these are much easier to make than donuts. The recipe comes from the Coconut and Lime blog.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- strawberry jelly (not preserves)
- powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease and flour or line 6-8 wells in a cupcake pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, zest and milk beat well. Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Beat until the batter is light and fluffy. Fill each well 2/3 of the way filled. Bake approximately 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the middle cupcake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Using a small corer, knife or melon baller, scoop out some of the center of the cupcake. Fill with jelly. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.