Recipe by hels
Okay, this isn't my recipe, although I do intend on making it soon. It's one of the ones I acquired when the elves were clearing out the Recipezaar account. Please tell me what it's like if you make it.
- 4 large macaroons
- 4 tablespoons white wine
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1⁄2 pint single cream
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1⁄2 ounce caster sugar
- 3 ounces raspberry jam
- 1 ounce blanched almond
- 1 ounce candied peel, chopped
- 1⁄2 pint double cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the macaroons in a glass bowl and pour over the wine and brandy.
- Leave macaroons to soak, adding extra wine or brandy if they appear dry.
- Pour the single cream into a pan and warm gently until just on the point of boiling.
- Beat together the egg, egg yolk and cornflour in a bowl, pour on the cream and whisk Iightly.
- Return to a clean saucepan and cook gently, without boiling, until custard has thickened, stirring continuously.
- Stir in the sugar and allow the custard to cool a little. Pour over the soaked macaroons and set in a cool place. Carefully smooth the jam over the custard, then sprinkle with almonds and candied peel.
- Whip the double cream until it stands in soft peaks and pipe or pile on top of trifle. Serve decorated with extra blanched almonds and candied peel, if desired.