Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very versatile recipe. Spinach, peas or other veggies may be added, and alternative spices, like thyme or tarragon may be used.
- 2 lbs cod or 2 lbs haddock fillets
- 2 cups milk
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, shelled
- 2 ounces butter, i
- 2 ounces all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped capers
- 1 lb cooked and seasoned mashed potatoes (leftovers work best)
- Set oven to 375°F.
- Cook the fish in the milk m a saucepan, seasoning to taste.
- Reserve the milk and flake the fish.
- Butter a deep 2 to 2 1/2 pint pie dish and put the fish into it.
- Place a single layer of tomato slices on top of fish.
- Slice the hard-boiled eggs and lay on top of the tomatoes. Melt the butter and stir in the flour then add the reserved milk and cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Stir in the parsley and capers and season to taste.
- Pour this sauce over the fish, tomatoes and eggs.
- Cover with mashed potato, roughing It up lightly with a fork and topping with a little butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the potato is lightly browned.