Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 12 mins
This makes a delicious, tender prime rib roast. Great for the holidays! Rubs are used to flavor the meat, and are optional.
- Combine garlic and herbs, then rub the mixture evenly over the surface of the meat.
- Because rib cuts are more tender, dry heat roasting (no cover and no added liquid) is preferred. Moist heat is used to tenderize tougher cuts of meat, but may also result in greater shrinkage and drier meat.
- Place meat on a cooking rack, fat side up, in a shallow roasting pan. Do not place meat in a cooking bag, nor place a cover of any kind over the meat.
- Roast at 350, for 18-24 minutes per pound. Medium-rare (145 degrees final internal temperature), medium (155 degrees internal temperature), and well-done (165 degrees internal temperature).
- Over cooking meat will dry it out, and toughen it.
- Internal temperature of meat will continue to raise 5 more degrees during standing time.
- Allow roast to stand 15-20 minutes before carving.
- Proper carving will make meat more tender.
- Slice across the grain of meat.
- Serve with horseradish and au jus, as desired.
- Au Jus:.
- Remove meat from pan, and drain off excess fat.
- Place pan on top of stove, and add onions. Cook and stir over medium heat 3-5 minutes.
- Add broth. Stir until meat juices attached to pan are dissolved.
- Continue to simmer until liquid is reduced to desired strength.
This roast just melts in your mouth and was a totally perfect addition to our anniversary dinner over the weekend. I used rosemary in mine and it couldn't have been better! The aromas while cooking were wonderful and we couldn't wait to eat! Amazing!
The name fits the roast. It was perfect! My family and I had it for Easter, and it came out really delicious with a lot of flavor from the cloves of garlic and herbs. I used rosemary and thyme as they are my favorite herbs. Who says ham is the only thing to have at Easter :) This was a perfect choice and one I am glad I tried! We will have this again! Many thanks for sharing Linda. This made our Easter extra special this year! Ida