Recipe by Oolala
Sue had lived in London and got this recipe there. It is traditionally served on Rosh Hashana, symbolic of sweet wishes for a New Year. The recipe makes enough batter for 2 loaf shaped pans. I used glass pyrex pans and they were over cooked when baked the full hour. I think this tastes best after a few days so make ahead if possible!
- 3 eggs
- 1 lb honey, same as 1 1/3 cups
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons margarine (or butter)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease and flour a 9" X 13" loaf pan.
- Beat eggs and honey together. Add sugar and mix again.
- Mix coffee with baking powder, and then add margarine or butter to the egg mixture.
- Add baking soda, flour, cinnamon and beat together well.
- Pour into prepared pans, filling each half way up, and bake for 55-60 minutes.