Recipe by Vina
I found the original recipe on the internet a few years back and made it for my friend, Sue, at our annual Christmas day brunch. Since then I've played with it a bit, and have developed both a hot and cold version. Good either way. Using made from scratch hot cocoa is the key to a tasty result. The majority of the prep time is for making the hot cocoa. Once done, the drink goes together in seconds.
- 1 1⁄2 ounces rich dark rum (you may use spiced if you wish)
- 1⁄2 ounce Creme de Cacao or 1⁄2 ounce Godiva original chocolate liqueur (chocolate liqueur)
- 2 ounces of prepared hot cocoa (make from scratch, if possible)
- 1 -2 teaspoon heavy whipping cream, per serving
Directions See How It's Made
- For version one, prepare the hot cocoa ahead and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- In a shaker full of ice, combine the rum, liquer, and cooled cocoa.
- Shake well and strain into a martini glass.
- Drop 1-2 teaspoons of cream into the center of the glass and serve immediately.
- For version two, prepare the cocoa but keep hot.
- Mix the rum and chocolate liquer in a microwave safe cup and microwave until very warm.
- Add the hot cocoa, stir, and top with a dollop of whipped cream.